Charlton Historical Society
Headquartered at the Rider Tavern, which was constructed in 1799, Charlton Historical Society was formed in 1963 as a non-profit organization. Guided tours of the building are available by appointment, May through October.
Note: The tavern is not handicap accessible.
Archives containing information related to early residents and many old houses are available for public use by appointment.
In addition, the society oversees the only remaining district school still owned by the town, and the town-owned militia lot. The school is available for small group functions (up to 25) and the militia lot has granite posts containing local history facts. Tours of the schoolhouse, which contains photographs and information related to all the district schools (which ceased operations in 1949), and houses an historically significant bell, are available by appointment. Please call Peter at 508-248-7840 to request an appointment.
All these sites are part of the Northside Historic District, which is listed as one of the one-thousand great places in Massachusetts.