Open House and program on Straw Hat Industry
KEEP HOMESTEAD MUSEUM, MONSON, MA
Spring Reopening Open House and Program on the Straw Hat Industry
Open House 1:00-3:30pm, Program starts at 1:30pm with Ryan Beckwith of Old Sturbridge Village
Tour the museum and marvel at the items collected by the Keep family who lived there for over 150 years. There is furniture, silver and cut glass, collections of rocks, minerals and shells, quilts and other needlework done by the women of the family, along with the extensive button collection (the pride of the museum). Rooms are furnished as they might have been around the turn of the last century - including the bedroom that Charles and Pearl Keep moved into on their wedding day in 1893 and that has the original wallpaper, carpet, furniture and the bill-of-sale for the furniture.
There are 75 acres of land with approximately 2 miles of trails, open daily for hiking, snow shoeing and cross country skiing.
The museum is open on the first Sunday of the month, 1:00-3:30pm, April through December. Special programs are scheduled at each open house. These reflect the original owner's interests in history, art and natural history.