Signers of the Declaration of Independence — Road trip to their birthplaces and homes Cards List Map Abraham Clark Memorial House The original house of Abraham Clark burned down at the beginning of the 20th century. A replica of the house was built in 1941 at a land once owned by Clark at Roselle, New Jersey. Benjamin Franklin's Birthplace Site The original birthplace house was destroyed by fire in 1811. On the facade of the current building a bust of Benjamin Franklin was erected with the inscription, “Birthplace of Franklin”. Benjamin Rush House Physician, humanitarian, educator, patriot leader, Benjamin Rush is known as "Father of American Psychiatry." His house of birth stood here until 1969. Berkeley Plantation Berkeley's 1726 Georgian mansion is the birthplace of Benjamin Harrison V, signer of the Declaration of Independence and three times governor of Virginia. Button Gwinnett House Button Gwinnett resided on St. Catherines for 11 years after it was sold to him by Thomas Bosomworth. After the Revolutionary War, the courts apportioned the island and divided among multiple owners. Byfield Near this site stood the boyhood home of Caesar Rodney. Byfield was originally settled in the early 1680's by Daniel Jones, Rodney's maternal great grandfather and was the family seat for 3 generations of the Rodney family. Charles Carroll House The Charles Carroll House has been a prominent structure in Annapolis for over three centuries and was home to three generations of Carrolls. It is a restoration-in-progress and open to the public. Chase - Lloyd House Constructed by Samuel Chase in 1769 when he was only 25 years old before his wealth ran out. However, he had to sell the unfinished mansion to the wealthy plantation-owner, Edward Lloyd IV. Edward Rutledge House Also known as the Carter-May House and The Governor's House Inn. This 18th-century house was the home of Edward Rutledge, Signer and Governor of South Carolina. Elbridge Gerry House Opposite the Old North Church, built between 1730 and 1742, where Elbridge Gerry was born and spent his early years. In the 1820s, a third floor and Greek Revival entrance were added to the house. Elsing Green Home of Carter Braxton. The original interior was destroyed by a fire 1800. Today, the property is maintained as an operating plantation and a wildlife refuge. Fort Wilson Infamous for the Fort Wilson Riot. In October 1779, the house was attacked by an angry mob because James Wilson defended the right of Philadelphian loyalists to hold private property. Fragments of Franklin Court Franklin Court was the site of the house Benjamin Franklin built in 1763. It was demolished in 1812 with plans of transforming it into a commercial property. Francis Hopkinson House Residence of Francis Hopkinson from 1774 to 1791. Built in 1750 by John Imlay, a merchant. The structure is an L-shaped two-and-one-half-story brick structure with a gambrel and dormered roof. Francis Lewis House Site Francis Lewis moved from London to Whitestone, New York in 1734. He actively became involved in politics during the Revolutionary War. As a consequence, British soldiers destroyed his estate and imprisoned his wife. George Read House The George Read House was built in the 1730’s and is one of the oldest houses in Old New Castle. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973. George Ross House Site George Ross was one of Lancaster, Pennsylvania's most prominent men during the Revolutionary War. His home was demolished in 1894. In its place, a seven-foot monument is erected. George Taylor House Also known as George Taylor Mansion, it was built by Philadelphia Carpenters in 1768, as the home of George Taylor, one of Pennsylvania's signers of the Declaration of Independence. Governor Stephen Hopkins House Home of Stephen Hopkins, his family, and their slaves for four decades. Located on Benefit Street’s “Mile of History”. “Hall's Knoll” Home of Dr. Lyman Hall Home-site of Dr. Lyman Hall. He moved to Saint John's Parish where he purchased the plantation now known as Hall's Knoll. He became a leading physician, planter, patriot, and was active in mercantile and shipping circles in Sunbury. Heyward-Washington House Built in 1772, this Georgian-style house was owned by Thomas Heyward, Jr. The City rented this house for George Washington's use during the President's week-long Charleston stay, in May 1791. Hopsewee Plantation Built in 1740, Hopsewee Plantation was the birthplace of Thomas Lynch, Jr., one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Now a private residence and open for dining and tours. James Wilson House Site James Wilson lived in a home on this site from 1770-1775. This was his home in 1774 when he published his pamphlet, "Considerations on the Nature and Extent of the Legislative Authority of the British Parliament." John Adams Birthplace - Adams National Historical Park John Adams Birthplace was built around 1722 and where John Adams was born in the east room in 1735. It is now a part of the Adams National Historic Park and is open for guided tours. John Hancock Manor A marker noting the location of the residence of John Hancock. The original residence has been demolished and the Massachusetts State House now sits on this spot. John Hart Homestead Around 1740, John Hart bought the "homestead plantation" of 193 acres on what is now the town of Hopewell. In 1742, he and his father repurchased 100 acres of their own land after a land title dispute. John Penn's House Home of John Penn, the last Colonial governor of PA. Located near Island Creek in Granville County, North Carolina; no longer standing; marker along US 15 (southbound) in Stoval. John Witherspoon House This Georgian stone farmhouse was built as a summer residence and eventually retirement home by John Witherspoon, signer of Declaration of Independence for New Jersey. Joseph Hewes House Built in 1756, this Colonial-era residence located in the heart of Edenton's historic district was once owned by Joseph Hewes. It has remained a private residence. Josiah Bartlett House Built for Josiah Bartlett around 1774 as a replacement of his house destroyed by fire. The house was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1971. Matthew Thornton House Home of Matthew Thornton from 1740 to 1779. It is a historic house and was registered as a National Historic Landmark in 1971. Meadow Garden The oldest house in Augusta and the oldest house museum in Georgia. George Walton lived here by early 1792 and named it ‘Meadow Garden’ because the house was positioned on a large, flat meadow. Menokin Menokin was the home of Francis Lightfoot Lee and his wife, Rebecca Tayloe Lee. Built in 1769 on land once inhabited by the Rappahannock Tribe. Middleton Place Built in 1705, Middleton Place was acquired through marriage by Henry Middleton in 1741, father of the signer, Arthur Middleton. It has remained under the same family stewardship for some 320 years. Moffatt-Ladd House & Garden One of America's finest Georgian mansions built between 1760 and 1763. Home of William Whipple and his wife, Katherine Moffatt. The house has been open to the public since 1911. Monticello Thomas Jefferson designed and redesigned, built and rebuilt Monticello for over forty years. He calls it his “essay in architecture.” It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1987. Morrisania Morrisania was a 2,000-acre estate owned by the family of Lewis Morris. Today, the name is associated with the village of Morrisania, a residential neighborhood in the southwestern Bronx. Morton Homestead Founded in 1654 by Morton Mortenson, a Finnish immigrant and passed on to John Morton, his great-grandson. Parts of the current house date back to 1698 with a large addition built in the 18th century. Morven Museum & Garden Built in the 1750's by Richard Stockton. Rebuilt in 1758 after a fire and was named Morven or "big mountain". Home to five generations of Stocktons and served as the Governor's Mansion from 1945-1981. Nash-Hooper House Built in 1772 by General Francis Nash, one of North Carolina's most famous Revolutionary heroes. The house is the only surviving home of William Hooper and is a good example of Piedmont architecture. Nelson House One of the finest examples of early Georgian architecture in Virginia. This was home to Thomas Nelson, Jr., Yorktown's most famous son and one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Oliver Wolcott Library Built by Elijah Wadsworth in 1799 and sold to Frederick Wolcott in 1800. Oliver Wolcott, Jr. acquired the house in 1814 and enlarged it considerably in 1817. Philip Livingston House Site The estate once owned by Philip Livingston, comprised 40 prime Brooklyn Heights acres overlooking the East River. It was destroyed by fire in around 1811 or 1841. Roger Sherman Town Hall The mid 18th Century site of the home of Hon. Roger Sherman, on which he ran a store. It is now the site of New Milford's Town Hall. Samuel Adams House Site The patriot and propagandist Samuel Adams (1722-2803) lived in a house on this site from 1784 until his death. Samuel Huntington Birthplace The house where Samuel Huntington was born was built in 1723. The well-preserved site includes an 18th century house on its original foundation surrounded by acres of farmland and by Merrick Brook. Shadwell The birthplace of Thomas Jefferson and the main plantation of his father. In 1770, the Jeffersons' house at Shadwell was destroyed in a fire. Today, the site is marked by a Virginia Historical Marker. Stonehurst, the Robert Treat Paine Estate Stonehurst was completed in 1886. Robert Treat Paine and his descendants continued to occupy the house until the mid-1960s. The house was donated to the city of Waltham in 1974. Stratford Hall, home of the Lees of Virginia Residence of four generations of the Lee family and their slaves, including Richard Henry Lee. In 1929, the Robert E. Lee Memorial Association was formed to restore the house and open it to public. Summerseat The only house known to be owned by two signers of the Declaration of Independence, George Clymer and Robert Morris. It was used as headquarters of Gen. George Washington during the Revolutionary War. The Common Man Formerly the site of Hannah Jack Tavern, an historical building dating back to 1794 that was once the home of Matthew Thornton, a signer of the Declaration of Independence. The Old House at Peace field Home of John Adams, first Vice President and 2nd President of the United States, and his wife, Abigail Smith Adams. Peacefield was also the home of John Quincy Adams, the 6th United States President. The President's House The home that George Washington and John Adams resided in prior to construction of The White House, originally belonged to Robert Morris. He moved next door so Washington could live there. Today, it's an open-air exhibit that shows the outline of the original building. Thomas Jefferson's Poplar Forest Designated a National Historic Landmark, Thomas Jefferson’s Poplar Forest is an award-winning historic restoration in progress, nominated as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Thomas McKean House Site Thomas McKean was born on this farm on March 19, 1734. Active in the politics of Delaware, he encouraged Caesar Rodney to cast the deciding vote for American Independence. Thomas Stone National Historic Site Also known as Habre de Venture. The house was built in 1771 where Thomas Stone and his family lived until 1783. The house passed through five generations of Stone family descendants until it was sold. William Floyd Estate The birthplace of William Floyd. Between 1718 and 1976, eight generations of Floyds managed the property. In 1976, the Floyd family donated the contents of the house to the National Park Service. William Paca House & Garden This five-part Georgian mansion was built in the 1760s by William Paca, one of Maryland’s four Signers of the Declaration of Independence and the state’s third Governor. William Williams House The residence from 1755 until his death on 1811 of William Williams. A well-preserved and little-altered colonial-era house, it is also a National Historic Landmark. Wythe House The George Wythe house was built in 1753 and given as a gift from George Wythe’s father in law. The house served as General Washingtons' headquarters before the Battle of Yorktown.