Newport News Victory Arch
25th Street & West Avenue Newport News, VA
Originally built in 1919 and was reconstructed in 1962. Returning WWI troops disembarked from ships and marched through the arch in victory parades. On Memorial Day in 1969, an eternal flame, donated by the American Legion, was added. Today the arch serves as a memorial with the eternal flame continually burning for all the men and women of the armed forces.