Trappe Historical Society
The Historical Society of Trappe, Collegeville and the Perkiomen Valley maintains two museums, the Dewees Tavern and the Muhlenberg House.
The Dewees Museum, located at 301 W. Main Street in Trappe, serves as the Headquarters of The Historical Society.
The building, constructed around 1740-1750, was a tavern for many years and served as a stagecoach stop, a polling place, a local court, and was the scene of local rallies for presidential campaigns.
Ongoing exhibits are maintained throughout the year. Special exhibits are offered that emphasize the heritage of the area, often with lectures that provide insight and depth.
The Henry Muhlenberg House, at 201 W. Main Street in Trappe, was purchased by the society in 1989 and has been restored to the period of 1776 when Henry Melchior Muhlenberg resided there. Muhlenberg's Journal has provided a wealth of information. Of particular interest are the roles of his sons, Peter and Frederick, during the Revolutionary War and establishment of the United States.
The exterior renovation was completed in 1995. The task of appointing the Muhlenberg House with appropriate furniture is ongoing, and many pieces have been donated. In 2000, the house was included in the National Register of Historic Places after years of community participation and support in purchasing and preserving this site at a cost of over a million dollars.