Castle Tucker

    Improve listing

Castle Tucker in Wiscasset, Maine

Dramatically sited on a hill overlooking the Sheepscot River, Castle Tucker tells the story of a prominent shipping family’s life on the coast of Maine over a period of one hundred and fifty years. From 1858 until the end of the twentieth century, both the Tucker family and their imposing house survived economic upheavals, emotional turmoil, and a rapidly changing outside world.

Built in 1807 and in need of updating at the time the Tuckers moved in, the house was redecorated and furnished to satisfy modern Victorian taste and sensibilities. With a reversal of fortune that came at the end of the nineteenth century, the family was forced to take in summer boarders in order to survive. Due to limited financial resources, the interiors have remained largely unchanged from this time, making Castle Tucker one of the most intact Victorian-era homes in New England.

Cook stove of Castle Tucker in Wiscasset, Maine

A visit to Castle Tucker offers a glimpse into the everyday life of Mollie and Richard Tucker and their five children at the turn of the twentieth century. With three generations of family possessions on view, Castle Tucker is a time capsule that echoes with the voices of a remarkable Maine family.

Open
Wednesday – Sunday, June 1 – October 15
11:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Tours every half hour. Last tour at 4:00 p.m.
Closed July 4

The Castle Tucker is a Historic New England property.

 


Top photo: Castle Tucker exterior - In 1807, Silas Lee built a large brick mansion at the end of High Street in Wiscasset on a hill overlooking the Sheepscot River. Chief Justice of the Court of Common Pleas in Lincoln County and a U. S. Congressman, Lee was one of the wealthiest and most prominent citizens in town. He and his wife Tempe planted two large elms near the house that inspired them to name the mansion Elm Lawn. Built in the Regency style, the house was massive in appearance with a large central section flanked by two rounded bays. This was to be the Lees’ town house, fit for elegant hospitality and gracious living.

Bottom photo: Cook stove - The 1905 Empire Crawford stove, purchased by Jane to make it easier to cook for all the people in the house, remains a focal point in the kitchen.