Society for Industrial Archeology (SIA) Annual Conference
|April 21, 2014 - 5:00 pm||Hotel Reservation Deadline|
2014 Society for Industrial Archeology 43rd Conference
The SIA 2014 Annual Conference will be held in Portland, Maine, May 15-18, 2014.
- The conference brochure should be mailed by March 17, 2014 to all current SIA Members so all members can receive the brochure in the mail before March 28, 2014.
- Online & mail-in registration will open on or before March 28, 2014
- All current members that have given us a valid email address will also receive an email notifying members of the brochure details (PDF) and the registration process, costs and schedules.
- The tours, schedules & details of the conference are subject to change
Schedule at a glance:
Thursday, May 15:
- Optional 90-minute trolley tour of Portland downtown and lighthouses
- Optional afternoon cruise to traverse three historic fortresses on private coastal islands
- Optional afternoon bus trip to Maine Maritime Museum
- Special Reception for New Members
- Evening Reception at the Holiday Inn By The Bay (included in full registration package)
Friday, May 16:
- Choose one of four all-day bus tours (included in full registration package)
- Optional Film Festival at One Longfellow Square
- Breakfast and dinner on your own (various restaurants are in or near the hotel)
Saturday, May 17:
- Full day of research presentations (included with registration)
- Annual Business Meeting & Luncheon (included with registration)
- Optional Lobster Dinner Cruise
- Optional evening trolley tour of Portland
Sunday, May 18:
- Optional guided walking tour of historic Portland, including Longfellow House
- Optional tour of Longfellow House only
- Note that BOTH of the above Sunday tours include admission to Maine Historical Museum
- Optional visit to the special collection of George Collord (collects machine tools & horological artifacts)
Conference Hotel: Holiday Inn By The Bay, 88 Spring Street, Portland, ME 04101
This modern hotel is conveniently located within easy walking distance of the Old Port, the working waterfront, the Arts District and the Maine Historical Society. To reserve your room at the special SIA rate, please phone 207-775-2311 or 800-345-5050 as soon as possible, no later than April 21. The special rate is $135 per night for a standard room, $145 for a standard king, and $150 for an executive king or executive double. That rate does not include tax, currently 7%. Included at no additional charge are high-speed wireless internet, indoor pool and fitness center. There is a courtesy van between the hotel and Portland Airport,Amtrak Station or bus terminal.
Schedules are approximate.
Please refer to the Registration Packet for updated Times and Details.
For more information please contact Ronald Petrie
SIA Coordinator for Conferences & Tours