SEMC Annual Meeting - New Directions in the Old Dominion: The Re-evolution of Museums
New Directions in the Old Dominion:
The Re-Evolution of Museums
SEMC 2012 Annual Meeting
November 7–9, 2012, Williamsburg, Virginia
Huzzah! Disembark into History
Step off into the American Revolution and experience the Re-Evolution of Museums at SEMC 2012 Annual Meeting! For museum lovers, Williamsburg is a travel destination unlike any other in the country. The exciting story of America comes to life in America’s historic triangle: Williamsburg, Jamestown and Yorktown. Experience the 17th-Century settlement at Jamestown and then meet the founding fathers of the American Revolution in Williamsburg, Virginia’s Colonial capitol. Art museum lovers will enjoy the Muscarelle Museum of Art at the College of William & Mary and the Colonial Williamsburg museums - the DeWitt Wallace Decorative Arts Museum and the Abby Aldrich Rockefeller Folk Art Museum. Learn about conservation and collections in a Behind-the-Scenes tour of the DeWitt Wallace Conservation & Collections Building, the Costume Design Center, and the John D. Rockefeller, Jr. Library. We invite all museum lovers to stay longer, bring your family and explore the museums in Richmond, Newport News, and Yorktown.
Annual Meeting 2012 Participants will Experience:
- Over 50 sessions and workshops on interpreting historical figures, emerging museum technologies, beginning with evaluation, protecting your collection, exploring multisensory exhibits, emerging museum professionals, and making Trustees Fundraisers
- Space for over 50 exhibitors in the Resource Expo
- Three evening events in Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Settlement and Historic Jamestowne
- Private walking tours of Colonial Williamsburg’s historic areas and immersion in Revolutionary City
- Town hall discussion with leaders in African American interpretation: keynote speakers Lonnie Bunch, Kym Rice, and Christy Coleman
- Off-site tours and workshops at DeWitt Wallace Conservation/Collections Building, Costume Design Center, and the John D. Rockefeller Library’s Special Collections
- A Silent Auction to raise funds for scholarships to SEMC’s 2013 Annual Meeting
- Extensive networking with your southeastern museum colleagues
Annual Meeting Hotel
Located within strolling distance of the historic area, Williamsburg Lodge is our host hotel.
310 South England Street, Williamsburg, VA 23185
Call: 800.261.9530 for group reservations, mention Southeastern
Museums Conference and use the booking code 16118.
Room rates: $149/Superior & Deluxe Room + 10% tax and $2
occupancy tax $219/Suite + 10% tax and $2 occupancy tax
Room Block cutoff date: Wednesday, October 3, 2012