Kansas Historical Society - Loving Your Stuff: Gems in the Attic
In 2014, Topeka is commemorating the 160th anniversary of its founding. To honor this milestone, the Kansas Historical Society, Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library, and Topeka Landmarks Commission are collaborating to present the Preserve Topeka workshop series. Workshops about objects and family heirlooms offer how-to instructions for handling, cleaning, preservation, storage, and display. Workshops about historic properties will focus on maintenance, repairs, preservation, and historic research.
Join us for Loving Your Stuff: Gems in the Attic in the Museum lobby and classrooms, Kansas Historical Society.
- Appraisal Fair - Rachel Cozad and Soodie Beasley from Madison Group Fine Art Appraisals will be available to appraise heirlooms and collectibles. Cozad specializes in 19th - 20th century European and American paintings, drawings, prints, photographs, sculpture, ceramics, and glass. Beasley specializes in decorative arts, antiques, furniture, silver, and crystal.
- Tickets are $20 for the first item, $15 for the second. Maximum two items per patron. Kansas Historical Foundation members and Friends of the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library receive a 20% discount. Tickets must be purchased in advance. Call 785-272-8681, ext. 415.
- Preservation Workshops - Experts from the Historical Society and Public Library will present workshops about collecting and collections care. Free admission to workshops.
- 10:30 a.m. - Researching and Documenting Your Collectibles. Learn how to research the history of objects
- 11:30 a.m. - Textile Preservation. Learn how to care for and store clothing, quilts, and other fiber objects.
- 12:30 p.m. - Donating to a Museum. Learn the process for donating objects to a museum.
- 1:30 p.m. - Paper Preservation. Learn how to care for and store documents, photos, and other paper objects.
Additional workshops will be offered through October 2014. Workshops will be presented at either the Kansas Historical Society (KSHS), 6425 SW 6th Avenue, Topeka, or the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library (TSCPL), 1515 SW 10th Avenue, Topeka.
Preserve Topeka workshop schedule
February 6 - Loving Your Stuff: Photographs and Works on Paper. 6:30 p.m. Marvin Auditorium, 101B, TSCPL
April 19 - Loving Your Stuff: Gems in the Attic. 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Museum lobby and classrooms, KSHS.
May 10 - Neighborhood Fair. 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Marvin Auditorium, TSCPL.
Hear about Topeka from its residents. Learn the history of Topeka neighborhoods and the diverse cultural groups that played a role in the development of the city. Discover the resources available in the Topeka Room at the Public Library. Kansas Historical Society staff members will be on hand to answer questions about the National Register of Historic Places and financial incentives available for historic preservation projects.
June 5 - Loving Your Stuff: Furniture Edition. 6:30 p.m. Marvin Auditorium, 101C, TSCPL.
June 10 - Your Old House. 6:30 pm. Museum classrooms, KSHS.
Historical Society staff members will provide tips on home maintenance and repairs and share checklists for seasonal and routine maintenance.
August 7 - Loving Your Stuff: Collectibles. 6:30 p.m. Menninger Room 206, TSCPL.
August 23 - Researching Your Historic Property. Time to be announced. TSCPL.
October 2 - Loving Your Stuff: Digital Memories. 6:30 p.m. Topeka Room 204, TSCPL.
October 11 - Surveying Your Neighborhood. Time to be announced. TSCPL.