Historical Marker Dedication: Shelby Park Neighborhood

    Improve listing Presented by


In 1847, the German working class first populated the area bounded by Kentucky, Preston, Bergman, & Logan Streets. In 1907, Mayor Paul Barth personally purchased part of the land that made up the 17-acre park. Designed by the Olmsted firm, it was named for the 1st  governor of Kentucky, Isaac Shelby. It serves the recreational needs of the area.    


In 1906, neighbors each donated $2 to purchase land for a library. The Second Renaissance Revival-styled library, designed by Arthur Loomis, opened in 1911. It was listed on the National Register in 1980. It is one of seven Carnegie-endowed libraries in Louisville & serves the social and educational interests of the area.


Kentucky's historical markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for native Kentuckians as well as tourists. Through this program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public as they travel along the state's roadways. Learn more at www.history.ky.gov/markers