Historical Marker Dedication: Naval Ordinance Plant
NAVAL ORDNANCE PLANT
Commissioned on Oct. 1, 1941. Operated by Westinghouse Electric to manufacture gun mounts and ordnance for the Navy during World War II. The 135 acre inland site afforded protection from enemy air attacks. Peak employment reached 4,200. The Navy took over operation in 1946. In the post-war years employment declined to less than 100.
NAVAL ORDNANCE STATION
“GUNSMITH TO THE NAVY”
Re-activated in 1950, NOSL became a major facility. In 1966 it was designated an ordnance station and assigned to provide design, repair, overhaul and engineering for all shipboard gun systems. In 1966, the operation returned to private contractors with engineering support being retained by the Navy until 2011.
This marker sponsored by and dedicated to NOSL Employees
Kentucky's historical markers are on-the-spot history lessons that add drama and interest to the countryside for native Kentuckians as well as tourists. Through this program, the wealth of Kentucky history is made accessible to the public as they travel along the state's roadways. Learn more at www.history.ky.gov/markers.