Grants for Museums and Historic Sites
Identifying and winning grants from foundations and governments is a mix of art and science. This course is designed for professionals either learning or reviewing their skills in raising money through grants. Philanthropy keeps changing, and so does grantmaking. Everyone on the team must contribute to raising money to do good work; those with grant-preparation skills are very valuable to the institution.
- Where to find funders, and how to choose the most appropriate ones for success
- How to recognize when, and when not, to apply for a grant
- How to navigate funder relationships
- How to design a project and tailor a proposal so that you achieve your goals and your funder’s goals
- How write responsively
- How to orchestrate the proposal preparation process
- How to navigate the online applications for private foundations and the federal government
As the project for the class students may have a funder and project in mind, or may practice on a sample provided to suit their situation.
Instructor: Sarah Sutton
Course Start Date: March 4, 2019
Duration: 4 weeks