Collections Camp: Military History
This three-day workshop will focus on the care, conservation, and exhibition of military artifacts in museum collections. Spend time working with conservators and curators to learn how to be better stewards of your military history collection.
As a result of this workshop, participants should:
- Have a general knowledge of the basic types of military artifacts common in American museum collections;
- Have a general knowledge of the particular needs of military collections including proper identification, handling, and basic conservation;
- Be familiar with some of the current issues and trends in the preservation of military artifact collections;
- Be able to ensure the safety of visitors, staff, and artifacts when exhibiting or storing military items;
- Explore the variety of issues related to exhibiting and storing military history collections;
- Be familiar with simple conservation procedures that are safe to perform on their military history collections;
- Be aware of when they should call a professional conservator for problems with their military history collections;
- Recognize the importance of military collections in American museums.
Who Should Attend:
This workshop is intended for museum staff and volunteers who work in any type of museum that has collections of a military nature.