Christmas by Candlelight
Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings,
3:00PM to 9:00PM
December 4 - 6, 11 - 13, and 18 - 20.
Escape the frenzy of a modern Christmas with an enchanted evening of gingerbread, roasted chestnuts, music, dance, and a sleigh ride (weather permitting). Meet Father Christmas and chat with Santa Claus (bring your camera!).
Christmas by Candlelight highlights include:
- Re-creation of Mrs. Cratchit's Christmas Dinner
- Sleigh rides (weather permitting)
- Gingerbread House Contest - winners determined by your votes
- Holiday traditions explained and recreated- roasting chestnuts, yule logs, mistletoe, and more
- Demonstrations of period gingerbread baking and cider mulling
- Victorian carolers
- Christmas keepsake to make and take home
- Display of model railroads and trains
- Display of a miniature New England Village
- Display of the Little Town of Bethlehem nativity
- Visit Father Christmas and Santa Claus
- Punch & Judy Puppet Show
- Christmas carol sing-a-longs
- Holiday magic shows
- The dance from Dicken's A Christmas Carol
- Readings of Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer , How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and A Visit from Saint Nicholas
- Readings of "The Nativity Gospel of Saint Luke" and "The Nativity Gospel of Saint Matthew"
In order to focus on the evening holiday events, Old Sturbridge Village closed during the day from December 1-25, 2015. The Village will return to a daytime schedule for its popular school vacation week activities Dec. 26, 2015– December 31, 2015.