Certified Interpretive Guide Training Workshop “A Winter Warm Weather Workshop IV”
Certified Interpretive Guide Training Workshop
“A Winter Warm Weather Workshop IV”
January 28-Febuary 1, 2013
Palm Canyon Resort
Borrego Springs, California
Anza-Borrego Foundation (ABF), in partnership with the National Association for Interpretation, is offering a professional certification course for individuals who deliver interpretive programs or have public contact at any resource, facility or business such as visitor centers, nature centers, parks, museums, zoos, tour companies or heritage sites.
What makes this workshop unique: This program is offering more than CIG certification. We believe the experience is also an important part of the learning process. We are offering each participant the opportunity to experience Anza-Borrego Desert State Park, California’s largest State Park, located in the lower Colorado Desert during its fabulous mild winter season.
Anza-Borrego State Park is one of America’s largest State Parks at over 630,000 acres. The park is home to the endangered Peninsular Bighorn Sheep. It is a land of extremes; from desert badlands to disappearing canyon streams revealing native palm oases. The area harbors a rich ecological, geological, and cultural heritage.
One of the highlights offered in addition to the certification workshop is an optional all day tour of this spectacular place. This is a one-of-a-kind tour and demonstration. It is a tour within a tour featuring all the dos and don’ts of planning and leading tours while experiencing this fantastic park.
The CIG Program
The Certified Interpretive Guide program is designed for anyone who delivers interpretive programs to the public. It combines the theoretical foundations of the profession with practical skills in delivering quality interpretive programming to audiences.
This 32-hour workshop includes:
• History, definition, and principles of interpretation
• Making your programs purposeful, enjoyable, relevant, organized, and thematic.
• Programming emotional and intellectual ideas into your presentations to connect audiences to the resource.
• Tailoring your programs for diverse audiences and various learning styles.
• Presentation and communication skills.
• Interactive group activities, demonstrations, and individual sessions with instructor.
• All materials, course workbook and supplemental text, Personal Interpretation.
Requirements for the CIG Course
Anyone age 16 or over with a desire to increase their knowledge and skills related to interpretation may participate. Membership in NAI is not required, but NAI members pay a discounted fee. You may also elect to take the training without becoming certified.
Workshop participants are expected to:
• Attend entire workshop.
• Provide for your own lunch and dinner.
• Take a 50 question open book literary review.
• Produce a one page presentation outline. Trainers will insure adequate time is spent with individual participants prior to grading outline.
• Deliver a ten-minute thematic interpretive talk on last day of workshop. Once again, trainers will insure each participant has the opportunity to review content and techniques of talk with a trainer prior to presenting.
Workshop Schedule with Package Options:
Sunday January 27, 5:00- 7:00PM
Workshop Welcome Reception at the Anza-Borrego Desert State Park Visitor Center
Monday-Thursday, Jan. 28-31 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM daily
Palm Canyon Resort.
Friday, Feb. 1
Spectacular desert tour; short hikes, stop at a historic site, journey through a slot canyon, mesquite grove, palm oasis, scenic overlooks, geology and paleontology. Lunch, water, light refreshments, and transportation provided. Bring binoculars and a camera. Wear a hat and good hiking footwear. Don’t miss this! A tour within a tour covering all the things visitors don’t see that can make or break the experience.
Three Easy ways to Register:
1. Call Anza Borrego Foundation: 760-767-4063
Mon. thru Fri. 9:00AM -4:00PM PDT
2. Sign up online: www.theabf.org/events/special
3. Download a registration form from the above website.
and mail or fax to:
PO Box 2001
Borrego Springs, CA 92004
Official Workshop Lodging:
Palm Canyon Resort
221 Palm Canyon Drive
PO Box 956
Borrego Springs, CA 92004
Register on your own: Ask for the Interpretive Training
rate of $99@night single or double occupancy.
RV sites with hook up also available at Palm Canyon Resort, for $32@night.
Please Note: These rates will be held until December 27, 2012. You must call and make your reservation by December 27 in order to be assured of the discounted rate!
Anza-Borrego Desert State Park
Borrego Palm Canyon Campground: RV hook ups, water,
flush toilets, showers. Rates:
Drive in: $25.00 @ night
Hookups: $35.00 @ night
or on line: www.reserveamerica.com
For more information on lodging, camping, hookups, shopping or dining in the Borrego Springs area visit: http://borregosprings.org
To Register: Download the registration form here or call 760-767-0446 and talk to Joan.